Pages

Floyd Mayweather keeps sights on fight


LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. is done talking about Manny Pacquiao. Well, at least for now.

On the final leg of a three-city press tour to promote his May 5 fight against Miguel Cotto,

Mayweather refused to acknowledge Pacquiao when asked numerous times about him and continually repeated that he was fighting Cotto on May 5 when asked why a more in-demand fight against Pacquiao was not happening.


"Miguel Cotto versus Floyd Mayweather, Floyd Mayweather versus Miguel Cotto, Saturday May 5, it's a fight that the fans can't miss," Mayweather repeated when asked about Pacquiao. "We're both stepping up and taking the random blood and urine testing and that's a great thing for boxing."

Mayweather, sitting on a throne atop a stage at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, was continually peppered with questions about Pacquiao before his top advisor, Leonard Ellerbe, stepped in and said, "We're not here to talk about Manny Pacquiao."

"I got this El, I got this," Mayweather told Ellerbe as Ellerbe tried to make room for reporters that only had questions about the Cotto fight. "This is about Mayweather versus Cotto not Mayweather versus Pacquiao not Mayweather versus Jeremy Lin. This is Mayweather versus Cotto. A-B-C, 1-2-3.

"Floyd Mayweather fights who Floyd Mayweather wants, but Floyd Mayweather wants to give his fans excitement day in and day out. This is about Mayweather-Cotto. If you want to do an interview with Jeremy Lin, you got to fly to New York. You want to do an interview with Manny Pacquiao, you got to go to Freddie Roach's gym. It's as simple as that. He's fighting Timothy Bradley and I'm fighting Miguel Cotto."

Mayweather mentioned Lin after he was asked about his controversial tweet about the New York Knicks point guard last month where he wrote, "Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise."

"Everybody's entitled to their own opinion," Mayweather said of his Lin tweet. "I have an open mind. I'm not the type to judge. Anything I did in life I did in my life I don't regret. I'm not here to talk about Jeremy Lin. I'm here to talk about Miguel Cotto. I'm not fighting Jeremy Lin so I'm not going to talk about Jeremy Lin".

When Mayweather was asked about Pacquaio's fight against Timothy Bradley Jr. on June 9, he said "May the best man win," but once again refused to indulge reporters on any further discussions about Pacquiao.

"My job is not to worry about other fighters. My job is to worry about the man that is put in front of me," Mayweather said. "This is a Floyd Mayweather-Miguel Cotto press tour so that's my focus at this particular time. Every guy that Floyd Mayweather faces is not going to be an easy task."

0 comments:

Post a Comment